Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Do what you love and starve?

“As fish are caught in a cruel net,
or birds are taken in a snare,
so men are trapped by evil times.”


I have and utilize the Esoteric Creature Generator.
I was looking at the numbers from Lamentations of the Flame Princess.
James Raggi is a talented writer and a gifted GM who has a loyal following.
He has poured SIX months of his life into Weird Fantasy
and has generated less than 150 sales ($9000?).

James Mishler was right when he posted 15 July 2009
"Gamers do not need us and our products, the writers,
editors, artists, and publishers of the adventure game industry.
They may want us, but they do not need us.”

I pity those who try to have a primary income from RPGs . . .

http://www.martynemko.com/articles/do-what-you-love-and-starve_id1380

3 comments:

  1. I've been there. If I didn't have a real job, I'd need a real job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The preliminary orders are from people who ordered a 50€ product (very many ordering additional modules and upgraded shipping) with pretty much no information about the product beyond the general idea and what it looked like.

    That's with zero distribution or reviews or publicity - just a product announcement.

    These orders are the beginning, not the final result. Not by a long shot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Jim

    Enjoy and USE your stuff,

    My comments are not a slight or a sneer.

    I hope for your success,

    I am a fan, not a competitor .

    My self esteem is generated from other things ; - )

    ReplyDelete