Monday, December 27, 2010

Calot


INTV….…. +3
ATTK….. +5/ one bite OR +4/ two paws
DMGE……. d8 OR d4 each
AC…….…. 4 [16]
HD……… 3d8
Fort........ +3
Will…..…. +5
Move…... 18”


“It waddled in on its ten short legs, and squatted down before the girl like an obedient puppy. The thing was about the size of a Shetland pony, but its head bore a resemblance to that of a frog, except that its jaws were equipped with three rows of long sharp tusks. . . the beast, after surveying me intently for a moment, crossed the room to the only exit which lead to the street and lay down full length across the threshold. . .
“This is the fleetest animal on Mars, and owing to its intelligence, loyalty and ferocity is used in hunting, in war and as the protector of the green Martian man. . .
“The huge brute belongs to a species which is never domesticated by the red man. Were one to stroll down Broadway with a Numidian lion a this heels, the effect would be similar . . . had I entered Zodanga with Woola.”
(PM V, XXI)

These creatures are omnivores and can subsist on vegetation if game is either too dangerous or carrying firearms. When encountered in the wild, they hunt in packs of d4 individuals that intelligently coordinate their attacks. Domesticated calots increase the security of a dwelling or camp and will greatly assist their master in tracking.

“A soft purr like that of a great cat, indicated that Woola understood, and then, with a word to him to follow, I turned to the right along the ledge, but scarcely had I done so that I felt his mighty fangs tugging at my leathern harness.
“As I turned to discover the cause of his act he continued to pull me steadily in the opposite direction, nor would he desist until I had turned about and indicated that I would follow him voluntarily.
“Never had I known him to make an error in a matter of tracking, so it was with a feeling of entire security that I moved cautiously in the huge beast’s wake. Through Cimmerian darkness he moved along the narrow ledge beside the boiling rapids.”
(WM, II, p.22)


You can obtain excellent CALOT miniatures @ BronzeAgeMin.com
IMAGE FROM artzone.daz3d

No comments:

Post a Comment